Monday, May 17, 2010

Blooming
















Bloom's Taxonomy has been around for ages, and it is interesting to use it to assess technology tools and resources, which is exactly what we have been doing this session in Capstone.  I especially like my favorite new Bloom's visual-- the rose on the left.  Here's the link, so you can take a closer look.  Not only is it visually appealing, but it also links specific activities and products that fall in each of the six levels of the taxonomy.

Using that, we each had a chance to contribute a tool that could be used to target levels of the Bloom's taxonomy.  I share my favorite, Glogster.  I've posted about it before and have shared samples of my Capstone II project where the Culinary Arts students shared information and solutions on nutrition issues.  Glogster can target all levels of Bloom's because it is such a versatile platform.  And what's great is the students love it.  Designing a digital poster is very appealing!

A tool that I had heard about a while back, filed in my "remember to take a look at this" memory bank, and then forgot about is Museum Box.  Museum Box draws from the technique of the anti-slavery campaigner, Thomas Clarkson, who used a box of exhibits to prove his point when he was campaigning.  This virutal box can be customized to contain different numbers of slots into which text, pictures, video, links, and audio can be placed on a 6-sided cube.  Like Glogster, Museum Box's versatility is what is so appealing.  The cubes and boxes can be used for any level of Bloom's taxonomy.  Students can thinking metaphorically, synthesize information, and recall concepts.

Another great tool that I have used a few times is Prezi.  An updated, more dynamic and creative take on PowerPoint, Prezi can be used to create non-linear presentations with great impact.  Picture a large blank canvas where you can design a presentation and then use a camera to zoom in on and connect topics.  It can be used for basic information recall and communication, but extended, Prezi provides a versatile platform for synthesizing information in creative ways.  Where I struggle with this tool is in this versatility.  Having grown up on linear, PowerPoint presentations, I feel anxious about the endless options for layout, connections, and motion.  I have not used this with students yet, but I have a feeling that most of them will feel much more comfortable with it than I do.

Bloom's Taxonomy is a wonderful starting point when designing projects using technology tools.  Using it in conjunction with the curriculum objectives and standards provides a strong foundation for engaged students and high-level learning.

No comments: