We finally decided on Jing, which is created by TechSmith, and is a free download for both Windows and Mac. Jing is a very simple to use tool that can create screenshots or screencasts and can then be saved as a Flash movie and emailed or uploaded.
Here was our basic plan:
- Students worked in groups of two and were assigned an objective from the MOS Word Certification test.
- Students researched and learned how to complete the objective.
- Students wrote a step-by-step script that they used to record their screencast.
- Students used Jing to record their screencasts using the scripts.
- Students chose best version of screencast and uploaded to a page on a class wiki that contains the video and the script.
I am happy with the results of this project, especially because over the past two years, I really was not sure I would figure out a way to help in this classroom. After this experience, I see many, many possibilities. We already have another project that will begin in the next month that includes Mixbook. Vo-Tech 2.0 is on its way!